Wednesday 20 July 2011

Retro: Evil Zone (Eretzvaju)

So I thought I'd talk about a retro game every now and then to give a bit of variety to the things I post.
The first 'retro' game I'm going to talk about is Evil Zone (or Eretzvaju) on the Playstation.
This was, is and will be my most favourite game of all time. Okay, the graphics may be rubbish (then and now) and the game play wasn't brilliant - compared to similar games such as Dead or Alive, or Tekken - but I found it a game that I truly loved.

Evil Zone is an anime style beat-them-up and back when it was released in 1999 the anime style wasn't exactly popular, and therefore remained a game under the popularity radar. The game requires the player to use quick reflexes, timing and precision, rather than memorizing huge lists of combos and memorizing other obscure knowledge like in most other fighting games. Even though this take on fighting games is an idea that is pretty perfect for someone like myself who sucks at massive amounts of combos (button bashing ftw!) there was one HUGE flaw with the game... one attack button. Triangle to be exact. I personally didn't find it a problem as I found it easy to master all move that was available with the ability to actually know when to execute them.
So the nutshell story behind Evil Zone is that Ihadulca has been a naughty girl and causing terror over I-preseru and is now trapped within the Evil Zone. Although this is a nice temporary home for her she still needs to be defeated and a 'big' fighting tournament is held where fighters are summoned from other dimensions to test their strengths and see who is worthy of killing Ihadulca.
The 10 playable characters each have their own individual story modes which is portrayed in a slightly different manner compared to other games. The characters produce their own TV shows, where they talk to the person they are about to fight like a chat show, while also beefing themselves up. And as a proud member of the gaming society that actually skips the credits at the end of each game, this game continues the story of each character (via images) after they had finally defeated Ihadulca throughout the whole of the credits...
Overall if the game doesn't get your fancy the soundtrack is amazing! I actually still use Midori Himeno's theme song as my alarm! Sad right? Hey, it wakes me up in the morning at least. =P
Anyway, I think that's it I believe... You really actually have to play the game to experience its greatness (in my own opinion) and uniqueness as a game. Thanks again.

Toodles for now.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment