Tuesday 19 July 2011

Life: Self-confidence

[Note: I was debating to myself if I should actually write this post - but as I got good news at the end I'm happy to post it now.]

Okay I'm going to talk about self-confidence. Yes - everyone in some form or another has a lack of it, some more than others but that is a totally different topic altogether.
Recently I applied for a part-time summer job, I'd never applied for one before so I didn't get my hopes up too much. So like you do you email your CV to whatever reference along with a photo which they asked for. Just that got me to the phone interview which really was stupidly easy - "Yes I am very confident in using pc software, etc".
It all gets a bit daunting when you find out this hotel is where the assessment was to be held...
Now comes the time which I got to the assessment day/interview event. The whole entire car journey to the assessment I started to have a very odd but familiar feeling. It's kind of a mixture between having butterflies, feeling sick, and hand shaking... This was the feel that I always used to get when I raided back in WoW. Yup, I'm weird right? Every time I'd get into a raid group the weird feeling began and it always got worse just before a boss - where then I always seemed to have an adrenaline rush during the boss. Anyhoo ~ My body was treating this assessment to be a raid - simple as. It really did help though that once I arrived into the room with all the other students about my age I started to calm down, well we all looked as scared as each other.
Everyone was silent in this waiting room, with no one making conversation with anyone else (great =/ ) and somehow one of the things that wasn't meant to be the icebreaker was - collecting our name badges. It sounds silly, but when everyone is that tense its amazing what you need to start to the art of conversation.
So now the whole thing begins...

First things first: One at a time we had to stand up, say our name, where we was from, as well as a random question given to us. (Great - so we have to think on the spot...) If you was a fruit what would you be and why? Ugh... Fruit? Geez, I wanted the car question! In the end my mind decided that I was a pomegranate because I may be unusual I'm still tasty... That was a true /facepalm moment. After all our introductions we had to sit through a presentation of the two companies and what our overall goal would be.
We was then split up into two groups (as there was only 20 of us and only 2 assessors) where we played a 'game'. We picked a card and then had to defend ourselves along with debating with others of why we should stay on the plane - as someone has to be thrown off the plane or was would crash. Simple right? I had Lady Ga Ga and got no votes to kick me off so I must've done a pretty good job, eh? =] In the end (Sorry, to those not from England and doesn't understand the amusing conicidence this is) Cheryl Cole got kicked off our plane, and in the other room, the other group kicked off Ashley Cole. We felt this was pretty impressive xD
We then got given a sheet of information which we had to make notes from, learn... and then have a test on 10 minutes later (with no notes). It was like being back at school again. The notes were returned to us as we also had to memorise as much a possible as we had to give a 1 minute presentation...alone...with the assessors... I never knew 1 minute could feel so long yet so short at the same time, it was weird =/

Anyhoo... Long story short - I got the phone call yesterday saying that I got the job!
~WOOHOO~
I now actually have something to write on my CV!
Oh and the job I applied for was to be a Microsoft Office Ambassador. So I'll be based in a random shop trying to sell Office, 7, and LifeCam produce to students while also trying to convince them the NEED it, they MUST have and OWN it. >.< Fun times.
Thanks again for listening to me blab my life away.

Toodles for now.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment