Sunday 10 July 2011

Spiral Knights: Going down to the woods today?

So ~ I paid a visit to the Gloaming Wildwoods in Spiral Knights today... and damn right there was a nice surprise! Well... not exactly nice - it depends if you enjoy premature heart attacks and often... Okay, so I may be overreacting a little bit - but I'm one of (hopefully) a few out there that really sucks at things that just likes to jump at you and scare you witless... To be honest, this was the first time I experienced this on Spiral Knights and always after the first time you get used to it and know when to expect things.
So generally I suck at scary things... Quick true story (and I can't believe I'm going to admit this to the internet but oh well): When I first played FF7 on the playstation [in my defence I was only 7] I got freaked out after the first boss (when the bomb timer began) and I turned the game straight off... Yeh... Silly right? I even didn't play the game for a whole week - then I went back to it and it became one of many all time favourites xD

Anyhoooo~ back to the matter at hand. I reached the Gloaming Wildwoods after the first safe point within the game (~Depth 5) and you are happily welcomed by darker scenery than normal Wildwood areas, along with some lovely 'mood music' to assist in those who aren't on edge already. Okay, so your walking through the level - defending around each corner taking out all the easy normal mobs that usually pop up and WHOOSH! a glowy red-eyed, black figure runs across your screen! Heart attack no.1 - in the end I honestly lost count how many times I jumped... It probably doesn't help that the figure also randomly appears in front of you - charges and stuns you every now and then.. Thanks. Oh! It also likes to hide in the bushes and watch you walk past - another personal favourite of mine... >.<
So, now that you understand the type of pansy I am, you can imagine how edgey I am come the end of the SECOND level of this torture - yes... two whole levels of him jumping out and running across your screen. Again - thank you for your consideration. Oh, I forgot to mention - once you reach the Gloaming Wildwoods you are sent mail with a quest in for you to complete - in a nutshell: reach the end and kill the black thing to reach the item and complete the quest. Throughout your wonderful tour of the Gloaming Wildwoods you also encounter some bells (refer, to one of the images below), to me I didn't actually have a clue what they did until I reached the end.
So here we are - the elevator that leads to the Lair of the Snarbolax! Which really sounds like a snarling Snorlax - but sadly this isn't Pokémon =[
Before you actually enter the fight with the Snarbolax, you walk a little bit - he eyes you up - you have a chance to totally heal up, and then you enter the fight. Why can't all the levels be like this? No scary bumps in the night, just an easy walk.
So the fight begins: he popped up in the top left-hand corner of the screen and starts trying to spike you to death - either bury under the ground and make a path of spikes wherever he moves to or launches random airborne spikes. He also has the lovely multiple bite attack which is familiar thanks to the Alpha Wolvars (I hate them!!!) As you notice there is a bell in the centre of  the area, which is the same bell as you find throughout the previous levels - it is your ticket to wining the fight! Attacking the Snarbolax in it's black form is futile - it does diddily squat! So - the trick is to lure it towards the centre (near the bell) and then hit the bell - this stuns the Snarbolax and turns him yellow/golden for a few seconds. When stunned he is vulnerable to all attacks - so make the most of it. And that is it - keep stunning him and avoiding his attacks and the fight is done ~ Simples.
Steam users will be congratulated with this wonderful achievement: Congrats to you.

P.S. As you can see above - it is just me in the game. On Spiral Knights I generally solo everything just so I can get my own fame and glory, along with all the moneys + 'heat', without any pugging trying to troll me. =P

Thanks again.
Toodles for now.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment